Published on August 26, 2023
It’s an obvious fact that as we age, changes arise in our bodies. Many of these changes can manifest in our skin. Facial lines and wrinkles begin to form, and moisturizers and serums can only help to an extent. If you’re considering getting rid of the skin signs of aging but without surgery, the vampire facial, or platelet-rich plasma (PRP) facial will be your best friend. It is a popular natural and non-invasive cosmetic treatment that triggers collagen production. It uses micro-needling that improves skin tone and texture.
PRP facial treatment is famed because of its role in wound healing. It has a high concentration of platelets. It permits the creation and release of growth factors. PRP facial has a lot of active protein that excels in facial skin rejuvenation. This article will discuss all there is to know about the so-called vampire facial of the skincare industry. Its benefits, cost, what to expect, and more. Let’s begin.
What is PRP Facial?
PRP facials are treated not as cosmetic procedures, but rather as medical treatment. The person doing the procedure takes a sample of your blood and isolates the protein-rich plasma and platelets to make the PRP.
A centrifuge is spun around to acquire protein-rich plasma. The platelets are withdrawn. The sample is then concentrated and called platelet-rich plasma (PRP). PRP has a high level of growth factors, and they aid in helping our body to heal. Dermatologists use PRP mainly to promote the growth of collagen.
Benefits of PRP Facial
The PRP facial hosts a lot of benefits for people who have wrinkles, sun damage, or scars. By placing PRP back into the skin, cell proliferation will begin. Cell proliferation leads to an improvement in elastin and collagen production. As a result, the skin complexion is graced with a together, fuller, and smoother appearance.
Increased Production of Collagen
People entering their late 20s to early 30s experience a drop in their body’s collagen production rate. It will only continue to descend as they age. Collagen is a vital protein that helps the blood clot and renders the skin its firm structure. An unhealthy skin is known to have visible signs of low collagen.
A PRP facial is a great choice for people who are bothered by their fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging skin. This treatment improves the quality of our skin. It restores its youthful appearance as it boosts the body’s natural collagen production.
Lessen Wrinkles and Facial Lines
The manifestation of lines and wrinkles on the face is the number one reason why people love PRP facials. These facial lines are erased when the old skin cells are recycled. Following is the formation of new skin cells that contain healthier elastic and collagen begins.
Better Skin Tone and Texture
As the body creates new and healthier skin cells, the overall appearance of the skin positively changes. PRP facial effectively heals acne scars, stretch marks, and hyperpigmentation. It also alleviates scars from injury and many other forms of poor skin texture and tone.
PRP facial treatment does not require surgery. It is a low-risk treatment with no major side effects. It only involves blood extraction from the patient’s own blood. There is no risk of plasma rejection.
PRP therapy has no major and alarming side effects. But patients might experience swelling, redness, and itching after the procedure.
PRP is done with local anesthesia to the face. The skin in the mouth, hairline, and eye area is known to be sensitive. Providers know how to approach those treatment sites with extra care. Patients might feel the device as it is applied, but the procedure won’t be painful.
The results of vampire facials usually appear within a few weeks after the treatment. The collagen production process takes time, which is why the results are constantly better. This is until the patients fully notice them after a few months. PRP Facial provides high-quality results for up to a year. It ensures patients maintain a younger-looking and healthier skin.
How Much Does PRP Facial Cost?
The cost of a PRP facial can differ depending on various factors. These factors may be the location of the clinic, the experience of the healthcare provider, alongside the extent of the treatment. On average, you may need to prepare a $500 to $1500 budget for a PRP facial session.
PRP facial is generally considered an expensive treatment. But there are ways to lessen the cost of it. You can either arrange a payment plan, avail membership discounts, third-party financing, or package pricing.
PRP Facial Before and After: What To Expect During the Treatment
Before the procedure takes place, the healthcare provider will hold a thorough consultation to evaluate the patient’s skin concerns and medical history. They will then discuss the PRP facial process and talk about the results the patient can realistically expect.
The PRP facial procedure typically follows these steps:
- Blood Collection- A small amount of blood is drawn from the patient’s arm. It is usually around 20-30 milliliters.
- Centrifugation- Placement of the collected blood in a centrifuge will take place. It spins at high speeds to separate the PRP from other components of the blood.
- Preparation of PRP Serum-After centrifugation, careful extraction of PRP begins. It will be ready for application.
- Topical Anesthesia- Anesthesia is applied to minimize any discomfort from PRP facial.
- PRP Application- The provider will apply the PRP serum. This is done either topically or via injection into the patient’s face. This will depend on the treatment plan and the patient’s needs.
- Recovery- After the procedure, redness and mild swelling may occur. They will typically subside within a few hours or a day.
Potential Side Effects and Complications of PRP Facial
Bruises and inflammation, including swelling and redness, are the most expected side effects of PRP facials. They appear instantly after the procedure and will clear within four to six days. Patients must also avoid sun exposure. It is advisable to evade harsh skin treatments after receiving a vampire facial. It’s vital to not rub or pick at your face. Sun protection is also very important.
The PRP contains your own blood. The good news is there’s little to no chance of cross-contamination or infection. Rare, but serious complications are infection and scarring.
Aftercare of PRP Facial
Aftercare of PRP facial is crucial to get the best skin improvement possible. It promotes healing and lessens the risk of unwanted complications. The procedure is generally safe and minimally invasive. Still, taking proper care of your skin can make a significant difference in the outcome.
- Avoid Touching or Scratching. Do not touch, rub, or scratch your face for at least 24 hours after your vampire facial. Your skin is sensitive during this time. The following could irritate the skin and introduce bacteria.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water to keep your body and skin hydrated. Hydration supports skin health and aids in a faster healing process.
- Avoid Sun Exposure. For the first few days after the PRP facial, protect your skin against direct sunlight. If you need to go outside, a wide-brimmed hat. Sunscreen will be your best friend in shielding your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Limit Strenuous Activities. It is advisable to stop yourself from conducting intense physical activities or exercise that can cause excessive sweating after a PRP facial. Abide on this for two to three days.
- Use Gentle Skincare Products. Retinoids and alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) should be avoided during the initial healing period of your PRP facial.
- Moisturize regularly. Keeping your skin moisturized can promote healing and lessening of dryness and flakiness. A non-comedogenic moisturizer is suitable to use for your skin type.
Frequently Asked Questions About PRP Facial
1. Who is an ideal candidate for a PRP facial?
Those that are looking to better their skin texture. Those that want to address signs of aging. Those that want to lessen acne scarring. Those who want to promote overall skin rejuvenation. All of these individuals are ideal candidates for PRP facials.
2. Does PRP facial hurt?
Most patients experience minimal discomfort during the PRP facial. The healthcare provider may use a topical anesthetic to numb the treatment area. Doing so will promise a more comfortable experience.
3. How many PRP facial sessions are required for results?
The number of sessions needed for PRP varies for every individual. This is due to unique skin concerns and the desired outcome one wants. In some cases, patients will see improvement after one facial. Others must attend multiple sessions spaced several weeks apart.
4. Are the results of a PRP facial permanent?
The results of a PRP facial are not permanent. Because natural aging processes continue over time. Yet, with proper skin care and periodic maintenance sessions, the results can be long-lasting.
The PRP facial treatment is a wonderful, cutting-edge skincare treatment. It offers a natural and safe approach to excellent skin rejuvenation. It has the potential to better skin texture. It eliminates fine lines and wrinkles, alongside acne scarring. It is true that the so-called vampire facial is highly commendable.
Experience Boca’s Favorite Med Spa
Aesthet House Med Spa is Boca Raton’s favorite source for advanced beauty treatments like microneedling, facials, dermal fillers, and more. Our services help you achieve a youthful and natural look. Treat wrinkles and dark spots with the latest advancements in beauty treatments. Our licensed staff are vetted and trained for your guaranteed satisfaction. Contact us to request a free in-person consultation today.
This Content Is Fact-checked
Our team of experts has comprehensively fact-checked this content, ensuring its accuracy and reliability. Discover more about our website’s rigorous editorial standards here.
About The Author
Judy Ponio has been writing about health and beauty topics for years. As an experienced writer, she makes sure to only use information from reputable sources and peer-reviewed studies. Her writing has also appeared on various US-based sites.